Sunday, September 6, 2009

Metachromatic granules

I just know this stuff. I was very surprised myself. You might think this is the metachromatic leukodystrophy(ML) (why? coz it's metachromatic). Wrong. It's a totally different thing altogether.

In ML, it's an accumulation of metachromatic lipid which is gives brownish color upon staining of toluidine blue.

However, when they say about this metachromatic granules, they are bascially Alder-Reilly bodies. Well, what the hell is that? It's actually an accumulation of glycosaminoglycans within leukocytes. It's seen in mucopolysaccharidoses aka the famous Hurler's and Hunter's syndrome which I believe USMLE Step 1 love to ask. You can observe large purple cytoplasmic granules, which is the metachromatic granules, of course (source from :http://www.learnerstv.com/onlinetest/medicine/ in Pathology Q11 and Pathology Concise) I can't find a good picture in any books, what I can find is this: http://images.google.com.my/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=Metachromatic+granules&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=IcKjSunTNIyBkQXPxo33Dw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

Ah, just google yourself. Till then...

No comments: